• What is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy? +

    AST's came into being in 1988 and were amended in 1996. All tenancies are now deemed to be AST's unless specifically stated as otherwise ie. tenants have no right to claim 'squatters rights' or any other type of entitlement to remain in the property at the end of the agreed period. The minimum length of a tenancy is six months but can be for any length of time in excess of this. At the end of this time the tenant is entitled to leave the property subject to having given at least one months notice that they will not be continuing to live in the property before the end of the tenancy. The Landlord is entitled to vacant possession at the end of the six months providing they have given at least two months notice.
  • What happens if I want to stay in the property at the end of the first six months? +

    There is no legal requirement for a new agreement to be signed at the end of a tenancy. A tenant can stay in the property on a 'periodic' tenancy which means that the agreement rolls over on a month to month basis on the same terms. A tenant can give one month's notice on or before a rent due date when they wish to vacate and the Landlord can give two months notice on or before a rent due date should they require vacant possession.  We write to all of our tenants prior to the end of the fixed term tenancy to advise when the tenancy becomes 'Periodic'.  However should you wish to extend for a further fixed period this can be agreed with the landlord.
  • How much money do I need to move in? +

    Once you decide that you wish to rent a particular property you will be asked for a £200 'holding deposit' for the first applicant and a further £100 per additional applicants. This secures the property for you, subject to references, and we will remove it from our listing. This deposit is non refundable unless the Landlord subsequently decides to withdraw it from the market. On the day you move in you will be required to pay the balance which is one month's rent in advance plus one month's rent + £100 as a damage deposit as well as our administration fee of £150 per applicant plus £30 per guarantor if required less the holding deposit originally paid. This needs to be paid in cleared funds i.e. cash, bankers draft or building society cheque or by bank transfer.
  • How is my deposit protected? +

    All landlords and letting agents must register any deposit taken in one of several schemes approved by the government.  We are members of 'The Dispute Service' which is an insurance based scheme.  All deposits are held in a separate account. We are also members of the National Approved Letting Scheme which means we have to have Client Money Protection Insurance. We have been in business for over 20 years so your money is totally safe but it is reassuring to know that the insurance is there.
  • How long after vacating is the deposit returned? +

    Town and Country will advise outgoing tenants of any planned deductions from their deposit within 10 days of vacating the property in line with 'The Dispute Service' guidelines.  Where possible Town and Country try to allow tenants to return to resolve any issues, such as cleaning, to ensure the Tenancy ends smoothly.  Once all deductions are agreed, if any, the deposit will be returned.
  • What references do you require? +

    If you are employed we will take up a reference from your employer, bank, current or previous Landlord /Agent. If you are self employed we require a reference from an Accountant showing at least three years of accounts. If you have been in your employment for less than one year, are a student or receive any form of state benefit we will also require a guarantor - which must be a UK resident and property owner - who agrees to pay the rent if you cannot. We will also take up a bank reference on the guarantor.
  • Who is responsible for maintenance of the property? +

    The Landlord is responsible for ensuring that the property is kept in a habitable condition and, if appliances are provided, for any repairs as a result of mechanical breakdown. However, they are not responsible for paying the cost of repairs as a result of negligence or accidental damage. The Landlord is not responsible for insuring your contents and you must ensure that you have adequate cover yourself. Where we manage a property on behalf of a Landlord we will instruct any necessary contractors to carry out repairs. If we do not manage the property we will inform the Landlord or their representative in order that they can deal with it. Some items which would be considered a 'Tenant' responsibility are; changing light bulbs, minor repairs such as fixing loose door handles and toilet seats etc, bleeding radiators, garden maintenance, removal of black spot mould/condensation, replacing batteries in door bells.  A full list is found in our 'Tenants Handbook' which is provided on check in.
  • Is the property inspected during my occupation? +

    If we manage the property we have a contractual obligation to the Landlord to carry out inspections normally every three to six months. Whilst we do not expect the property to be cleaned from top to bottom for our visit we will use these visits to check that there is no damage or dilapidations as a result of your occupation. Obviously fair wear and tear is taken into account. If we believe that there are any issues we will write to you giving you the opportunity to rectify them.
  • What happens at the end of the tenancy? +

    Notice must be given in line with your tenancy date.  Once your notice has been received we shall write to you outlining the end of tenancy procedure and provide you with instructions regarding you vacating the property. Please ensure that the property is left clean and tidy and in a similar condition as when you took the property. Once you have vacated, as per The Dispute Service guidelines, we will advise of any planned deductions, if applicable, within 10 days of vacation.  Once all deductions, if any, are agreed the deposit will be returned.
  • 1

Contact Us


Basic information [-]
Details [-]